Job DescriptionSpace Perspective is the world’s first and only carbon-neutral spaceflight experience company on a mission to make transformative space travel accessible to more people than ever before. Its Spaceship Neptune, which comprises a pressurized capsule propelled by a giant SpaceBalloon™, offers a safe and accessible six-hour journey to the edge of space. Those who fly with Space Perspective, which is being regulated by the FAA and follows guidelines established by NASA and the U.S. Coast Guard, enjoy unprecedented views of our planet through the largest windows ever flown to space, a world-class meal and cocktail service, Wi-Fi, and lavatory – all from the world’s first Space Lounge. Based on Florida’s Space Coast, Space Perspective was co-founded by entrepreneurs Jane Poynter and Taber MacCallum, who met as original crew members in Biosphere 2 and previously founded World View and Paragon Space Development Corporation. Space Perspective’s team more broadly has been instrumental in the development of every U.S. human spacecraft for the past 40 years.
Space Perspective is opening a unique opportunity for interns to obtain invaluable hands-on experience in the space travel and leisure sector. The internship details are the following:
· Duration: 6-12 months
· Location: Florida Space Coast
· Each intern will be assigned a supervisor and a mentor
· Each intern will receive consistent feedback for development opportunities
· Compensation is included
· Each intern will be required to find their own housing
Role and Responsibilities:In supporting one of Space Perspective’s Engineering teams, the intern will:
· Perform engineering for Spaceship Neptune and its Space Balloon’s launch and recovery equipment
· Learn and use Onshape solid modeling software to create designs and drawings based on requirements
· Perform basic analysis hand calculations on created designs based on required design loads
· Learn and use Epsilon3 software for creation of installation, operation, and maintenance procedures for the items designed and analyzed
Basic Qualifications:· Must be currently enrolled or have recently graduated within the past six months at a four-year accredited university (both bachelor’s and master’s degrees qualify)
• Able to effectively use 3D CAD software
• Able to follow guidance on designing aerospace and mechanical equipment for launch and retrieval of spaceship Neptune and its Space Balloon
• Able to perform basic load calculations and free body diagrams
• Able to document designs and effectively communicate and precent work performed in a thorough and logical manner
• Able to work with vendors and or internal team members to build, test, or operate equipment
• Able to write technical procedures for building, testing, or operating designed equipment
• Familiarity with FEA would be a plus
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis and can be offered the position before the application deadline.
Space Perspective is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Space Perspective is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.