Application Process

Anyone planning to come to the U.S. for practical training must obtain a J-1 exchange visitor visa. SACC-USA is a designated J-1 visa sponsor of the U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program and can assist individuals from Sweden with a J-1 visa application in the categories Intern and Trainee. SACC-USA will assist candidates who have secured a training opportunity through us as well as candidates from Sweden who have found an internship or traineeship on their own.

To apply for a J-1 visa, you will need to:
  • Obtain a Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002) from a U.S. host company
  • Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status (DS-2019) issued by SACC-USA
  • Present DS-2019 and DS-7002 at a personal interview at a U.S. Embassy
Once you and your host company have reached an agreement about a training program, please contact [email protected]. As soon as SACC-USA has determined that both the host company and you are eligible to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program, we can start the visa application.

In order to issue the DS-2019 document, SACC-USA must first receive all documentation from you, as described below. We must also receive the signed Internship/Training Placement Plan (DS-7002), Training Offer and service fee from the host company. You will not be able to book an appointment at the U.S Embassy until the DS-2019 has been issued.

The waiting time for an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm ranges from a few days to several weeks. July, August and December are usually the busiest months. Current waiting time is available here.

We have collected important and useful information for you in the following documents:

1. Visa Application Documents

Please complete the documentation as described under a-g below, scan and email to [email protected].

Do not send anything by postal mail. Make copies of all documents for your records.

a. Check List

Check List ​​​​​​​Print and check off items as you complete them and submit the SACC-USA check list together with the rest of the documentation.

b. Application Forms

Please fill in and complete the following:

c. Copy of Insurance Policy or Policy Summary in English

We suggest that you purchase an insurance policy from a Swedish insurance provider since Swedish insurance policies are generally more comprehensive than American ones. However, if you prefer an American policy, we accept Axis Insurance underwritten by Sweden-based Sirius Insurance Corporation.

At a minimum, the insurance policy should cover:
  • $100,000 per accident/illness
  • $50,000 medical evacuation
  • $25,000 repatriation of remains
You may want to request several insurance quotes and compare coverage and costs. Make sure you understand details such as exclusions, deductibles and coinsurance.

If you are a student, you may already be covered by insurance through your school free of charge to you, so please check with your school before purchasing your own policy.

Please note that you cannot use the 45 days travel insurance included in a Swedish homeowner insurance (hemförsäkring) as it generally does NOT cover internships/work/studies in the US. In most cases you need to buy a separate policy for the entire internship period.

d. Copy of Passport

Please note that your passport must be valid six months beyond the end of your training.

e. Copy of Transcript

Provide a copy of your transcript if you are a current student. If you have graduated, provide a copy of diploma/certificate. If your eligibility is based on five years work experience, please provide proof of such experience.

f. CV and Letter of Application

Resume and letter of application should be written in English. The letter of application must state the following:
  • The reasons for your training in the U.S. in relation to your future career development and what you hope to gain from your traineeship.
  • Your intention to leave the U.S. and return to Sweden upon completion of your training in the U.S.
Keep in mind that the J-1 visa is for practical training, it is not a work visa. Therefore, use terminology such as internship, traineeship, receive training in, get practical international experience, etc. Avoid words like “work” and “job” as they do not adequately describe a J-1 internship/traineeship.

The letter should be dated and signed and emailed or faxed with the rest of the documentation. Please make the letter out to:

The Swedish-American Chambers of Commerce, Inc.
Attn.: Karin Hammar
House of Sweden
2900 K Street N.W., Suite 401
Washington, DC 20007

g. Two Contact References

The Department of State requires contact information for two individuals who can be contacted as references for you. These individuals could be current or former professors, current or former employers, or representatives from organizations you have volunteered for. The referee should be capable of describing you as a person and explaining how the proposed traineeship will complement your studies and benefit your future career. Please provide a summary of their name, phone number, address, and email address in the 
Intern/Trainee Agreement document.

2. Visa Application Fees

i. Interview Fee

A fee of $160 in local currency paid to the US Embassy. This fee is paid by the visa applicant (you) and the embassy will require the original receipt from the payment. Note that the fee changes often so look at their website for the updated fee. For complete instructions refer to the US Embassy website.

ii. SEVIS Fee

A fee of $220 which is paid to the Department of Homeland Security. In our program the intern/trainee normally pays this fee, which can be paid online. Make sure to print a receipt to bring to the interview.

iii. SACC-USA Service Fee

A fee determined by the duration of your internship and normally paid to SACC-USA by the host company. More information may be found under the tab "For Companies."

3. Obtaining the DS-2019 Form

Once we have reviewed all documents from you and received a training plan DS-7002 signed by both the host company and by you, SACC-USA will issue the DS-2019 and send it to by express delivery service (FedEx).  You should be available to receive the shipment. This  means that you have to stay at home all day to wait for the delivery.  If this is not convenient, we can send it to your school, place of work or other address where someone is available to sign for the shipment on your behalf, such as the work address of a parent, sibling or friend.  Please remember to include entry security code (portkod), if applicable. Express delivery from the United States usually takes 2-3 days to most Swedish and Finnish cities, but could take four days to smaller towns.

4. Visa Interview at the U.S Embassy

To schedule an appointment for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm or Helsinki you first need to get the SEVIS number on your DS-2019 from SACC-USA. Complete instructions on how to book the interview and what you need to do prior to the interview are available at the U.S Embassy website. Read and follow the instructions carefully.

You will not receive the visa at the interview. The Embassy will keep your passport and send it to you with the visa stamp via registered mail. This normally takes two days but may take up to one week.

Do not pay for airfare to the U.S. prior to receiving the visa.

If you have a question about your visa application that you do not find the answer to within these pages, please send an email to Talent Mobility Outreach Associate: [email protected].

5. Important and Useful Information 

 Information, Regulations and Guidelines for the Exchange Visitor Program

Pre-Arrival Guide

6. Evaluations

Intern/Trainee is responsible for submitting a mid-point evaluation and a final evaluation to SACC-USA.

Trainee Mid-Point Evaluation

Trainee Final Evaluation

Talent Mobility Contact

Trainee Program Application ProcessTrainee Program Application Process
Tip: Download our nifty step-by-step Visa Application timeline by clicking the image and save it to your computer.